Chapter 34 Section 1:
The Indian Subcontinent Gains Independence
- How were the Japanese defeat in WWII and Asian nationalism connected?
- Why was Great Britain willing to give up its colonies after WWII?
- How are the Indian National Congress and the Muslim League different?
- Why did the Muslim League want Indian partitioned?
- How did partition affect the people of India?
- Why was the Kashmir issue considered a “challenge?”
- Why is India still “challenged” today?
- How were East and West Pakistan different?
- Why is there civil war in Sri Lanka?
Chapter 34 Section 2:
Southeast Asian Nations Gain Independence
- How did the Cold War affect the United States’ relation with the Philippines after it gained independence?
- Why did Filipinos view American military bases negatively?
- Why is Ferdinand Marcos important?
- Why is Corazon Aquino important?
- Why is Aung San Suu Kyi important?
- Why did the Indonesians revolt against the Dutch?
- Why is Suharto important?
- Why was Suharto criticized about East Timor?
Chapter 34 Section 3:
New Nations in Africa
- Why did the Negritude movement begin?
- Why is Kwame Nkrumah important?
- Why was the Organization of African Unity (OAU) formed?
- How did the Mau Mau help remove the British from Kenya?
- Why is Jomo Kenyatta important?
- Why was the Congo poorly prepared for independence?
- Why is Mobutu Sese Seko important?
- Why did the Algerian National Liberation Front (FLN) develop?
- Why is there civil war in Algeria?
Chapter 34 Section 4:
Conflicts in the Middle East
- Why has there been historical conflict over Palestine?
- Why is the Balfour Declaration important?
- How did the United Nations “settle” the issue of Palestine?
- Why were many people unhappy with the UN’s resolution?
- Explain the Suez Crisis.
- Why did the Six-Day War occur?
- How did the Six-Day War affect Israel?
- Why is Anwar Sadat important?
- Why is Golda Meir important?
- Why is the Camp David Accords important?
- How did the PLO affect Israel?
- Describe the intifada.
- Why is the Declaration of Principles important?
Chapter 34 Section 5:
Central Asia Struggles
- How did the USSR affect Central Asia?
- How did control by the USSR economically affect Central Asia?
- Why are there “issues” in Azerbaijan?
- Describe Afghanistan.
- How had imperialism affected Afghanistan?
- Why did the Soviet Union invade Afghanistan?
- What roles did the mujahideen play in the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan?
- Describe the Taliban in Afghanistan.
- How did the Taliban change Afghani society?
- Identify two challenges Afghanistan faces.