Wednesday, December 18, 2013
US History: Homework Due Monday, Jan. 6, 2014 (yes, all of it)
Chapter 12 Questions
Chapter 1 Section 1: The Politics of Reconstruction
1. Explain the term “reconstruction.”
2. How did Lincoln plan to readmit Southern states into the Union?
3. Identify the goals of Thaddeus Stevens & the Radical Republicans
4. What was the purpose of the Wade-Davis Bill?
5. Why didn’t the Wade-David Bill become law?
6. How was Johnson’s Reconstruction different from Lincoln’s plan?
7. Why was the Freedman’s Bureau established?
8. How did the Black Codes affect African Americans?
9. Why did the Civil Rights Act of 1866 “fail?”
10. What protections were granted in the 14th Amendment?
11. Why was Johnson impeached?
12. What was Johnson charged with?
13. How did Johnson’s impeachment trial end?
14. Who was elected President in 1868?
15. What was the purpose of the 15th Amendment?
Chapter 12 Section 2: Reconstructing Society
1. Describe the devastation suffered by the South as a result of the Civil War.
2. Describe the economic effects the South suffered as a result of the Civil War.
3. What types of public works programs were enacted to help rebuild the South after the Civil War?
4. What was the difference between a scalawag & a carpetbagger?
5. Which political party did most African Americans join after the Civil War?
6. Why did the Republican Party suffer a lack of unity?
7. Identify the challenges faced by former slaves.
8. Identify the new-won freedoms of African Americans.
9. Why was education important to former slaves?
10. How did African American volunteer groups help their communities?
11. How were sharecroppers different from tenant farmers?
12. Why was cotton no longer “king?”
13. How did the end of cotton as “king” affect the South?
Chapter 12 Section 3: The Collapse of Reconstruction
1. Why did the Ku Klux Klan develop?
2. What were the goals of the Ku Klux Klan?
3. How did the Klan achieve these goals?
4. How did Congress respond to the Ku Klux Klan?
5. Describe Grant’s presidency.
6. Why did Republican unity “shatter?”
7. Why did the Panic of 1873 begin?
8. What was the dispute over currency?
9. How was the currency dispute solved?
10. How did the Slaughterhouse Cases (1873) affect African Americans?
11. How did U.S. v. Reese (1876) affect the African Americans?
12. Who won the Election on 1876?
13. Identify 3 reasons Reconstruction can be considered a failure.
14. Identify 3 reasons Reconstruction can be considered a success.
15. What mistakes did Radical Republicans make when trying to help former slaves during Reconstruction?
Chapter 12 Vocabulary
1. Andrew Johnson
3. Radical Republicans
4. Thaddeus Stevens
5. Freedman’s Bureau
6. Black Codes
7. 14th Amendment
8. 15th Amendment
12. Tenant Farming
13. Ku Klux Klan
14. Panic of 1873
16. Rutherford B. Hayes
Chapter 13 Questions
Chapter 13 Section 1: Native American Cultures in Crisis
1. Describe the importance of horses to Native American cultures.
2. Describe the importance of buffalo to Native American cultures.
3. Why did settlers push westward?
4. Explain the Homestead Act.
5. Why was the Homestead Act passed?
6. Describe the Sandy Creek Massacre.
7. Why is Sitting Bull important?
8. Why is Custer important?
9. Describe Custer’s last stand.
10. What was the purpose of the Dawes Act?
11. Explain the Ghost Dance.
12. What was the importance of the Battle of Wounded Knee?
Chapter 13 Section 2: The Growth of the Cattle Industry
1. Why were railroads important to ranchers?
2. Describe the life of a cowboy.
3. Explain the purpose of the long drive.
Chapter 13 Section 3: Settling on the Great Plains
1. What were the benefits of homesteading?
2. Why did the frontier close?
3. What were the differences between dugouts & soddies?
4. How did the Morrill Land Grant Acts assist people?
5. Why did farmers go into debt?
6. How did this debt affect farmers?
Chapter 13 Section 4: Farmers & the Populist Movement
1. Why was there a demand for cheaper money?
2. Why were the railroads experiencing problems?
3. Why did the Grange Movement begin?
4. What were the goals of the Grange?
5. Why did Populism develop?
6. What were the goals of the Populist Party?
7. How did the Panic of 1893 affect Americans & American industry?
8. Explain the importance of Bryan’s “Cross of Gold” speech.
9. Why did Populism end?
Chapter 13 Vocabulary
1. Great Plains
2. Homestead Act
4. Sitting Bull
5. George Armstrong Custer
7. Dawes Act
8. Battle of Wounded Knee
9. Barbed Wire
11. Morrill Land Grant Acts
12. Bonanza Farms
13. The Grange
16. William McKinley
17. William Jennings Bryan
18. “Cross of Gold” speech