Also posted in Edmodo in case you want/need to print them out at school before break!
Chapter 18 Section 1: Imperialism & America
- How did imperialism affect Africa?
- How did imperialism affect Asia?
- Why did America begin to practice imperialism?
- Why did the U.S. want mew markets?
- Why were some Americans anti-imperialist?
- Why was Hawaii annexed by the U.S.?
Chapter 18 Section 2: The Spanish-American-Cuban War
- Why was public opinion in the U.S. split over war in Cuba?
- Describe “yellow journalism.”
- How did yellow journalism escalate conditions in Cuba?
- What was the De Lome letter?
- How did the De Lome letter help escalate conditions in Cuba?
- How did the USS Maine help escalate conditions in Cuba?
- Describe the Rough Riders.
- What role did the Rough Riders play in the Spanish-American War?
- Describe the provisions of the Treaty of Paris (1898).
- How did the Spanish-American War affect the Philippines?
Chapter 18 Section 3: Acquiring New Lands
- Why did the American military go to Puerto Rico?
- Why did Puerto Rico’s attitude about U.S. intervention change?
- How did the U.S. view Puerto Rico?
- Describe the Foraker Act.
- Describe the Platt Amendment.
- How did American economic interests fuel U.S. foreign policy in Cuba?
- What caused the Philippine-American War?
- What were the results of the Philippine-American War?
- Why are the Open Door Notes important?
- How did the Open Door Policy reflect American beliefs?
- Why were some Americans in favor of imperialism?
- Why were some Americans opposed to imperialism?
Chapter 18 Section 4: American as a World Power
- How did Teddy Roosevelt mediate an end to the Russo-Japanese War?
- Why was the Panama Canal built?
- How is Columbia involved in the Panama Canal?
- What challenges were faced in building the Panama Canal?
- How did the Roosevelt Corollary affect Latin America?
- Describe “dollar diplomacy.”
- Why did Wilson use “missionary diplomacy?”
- How did the Mexican Revolution affect the U.S.?