Section 1 is due Tuesday, 1/13/15
Section 2 is due Wednesday, 1/14/15
Section 3 is due Thursday, 1/15/15
Your Ch 13/14 Exam will be Friday, 1/16/15. Quizlet has been open for over a week!
Chapter 15 Section 1: The New Immigrants
- What was the “change” in European immigration?
- Why did people immigrate to America?
- What jobs did Chinese immigrants perform?
- Why did some Japanese immigrate to Hawaii?
- What drew Mexican workers to the US?
- Describe the journey of an immigrants to the US.
- How are Ellis & Angel Islands similar?
- How are Ellis & Angel Islands different?
- What challenges did immigrants face?
- How did nativism affect immigrant groups?
- What was the purpose of the Chinese Exclusion Act?
- What was the purpose of the Gentleman’s Agreement?
Chapter 15 Section 2: The Challenges of Urbanization
- Why did most immigrants settle in cities?
- Identify the goals of the Americanization movement.
- How did northern migration affect African-Americans?
- Describe urban housing during the industrialized age.
- How did mass transit change society?
- How did cities face the problem of supplying safe drinking water to people?
- Describe urban sanitation.
- Why was fire such a danger in American cities?
- What was the goal of the Social Gospel Movement?
- Why were settlement houses established?
- Why is Jane Addams important?
Chapter 15 Section 3: Politics in the Gilded Age
- How did the political machine entice voters?
- Describe how the political machine worked.
- Why was the political boss important?
- How did political bosses try to gain support among immigrants groups?
- Explain “graft.”
- For what was graft used?
- Who was “Boss Tweed?”
- Why s Boss Tweed important?
- How did Thomas Nast create outrage against Boss Tweed?
- What was the purpose of the Pendleton Civil Service Act (1883)?
- Explain the McKinley Tariff Act.
- Why did President Cleveland refuse to sign the McKinley Tariff Act?