Chapter 33 Section 1:
Two Superpowers Face Off (pp. 854-61)
- Why were the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. to pursue opposing goals?
- How did the Yalta Conference affect Germany?
- Why was the United Nations (UN) created?
- Why did the Soviet Union “take over” Eastern Europe?
- Why did Churchill use the phrase “iron curtain”?
- How did the U.S. plan to use the policy of containment against the Soviet Union?
- Why did the Truman Doctrine cause controversy?
- Why did the Berlin Airlift occur?
- Why did NATO develop?
- Why did the Warsaw Pact develop?
- Why did the U.S. and U.S.S.R. compete in an arms race?
- Why did the U-2 incident bring tensions between the U.S. and U.S.S.R. “to a new height”?
Chapter 33 Section 2:
Communists Triumph in China (pp. 862-5)
- Why were Mao’s troops more successful than the Nationalists’?
- How were Taiwan and China different?
- Why did the Tibetans riot?
- How did Mao reshape China’s economy?
- How did Mao change business and industry?
- Why was the Great Leap Forward a “great leap backward”?
- How did the Cultural Revolution affect Chinese society?
Chapter 33 Section 3:
War in Korea and Vietnam (pp. 866-70)
- Why did the Soviet Union supply North Korea with weapons?
- How did the U.N. respond to Soviet involvement in North Korea?
- How did the war affect both North and South Korea?
- How were the domino theory and the support of Ngo Dinh Diem of Vietnam “related” for the U.S.?
- How was “Vietnamization” tied to the U.S. withdrawal from Vietnam?
- How did Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge affect Cambodia?
- How did communism affect Vietnamese society?
Chapter 33 Section 4:
Cold War Around the World (pp. 871-5)
- Why does the Third World often experience poverty and political instability?
- Why did some Third World countries prefer to be nonaligned nations?
- Why did President Eisenhower order an embargo on all trade with Cuba?
- How did the Cuban Missile Crisis affect U.S./U.S.S.R. relations?
- How was Nicaragua involved in the Cold War?
- Describe life in Iran under the Shah.
- Why did Ayatollah Khomeini’s followers seize the American Embassy in Tehran?
- Why didn’t Iran and Iraq get along?
- Why is Afghanistan considered “the Soviet Union’s Vietnam”?
- Why did the U.S. supply the Afghan rebels with weapons?
Chapter 33 Section 5:
The Cold War Thaws (pp. 876-9)
- How did destalinization change the Soviet Union?
- Why was Imre Nagy executed by the Soviets?
- Why did the Soviet Union invade Czechoslovakia?
- How are realpolitik and détente related?
- Why was the SALT I Treaty important?
- Why was the SALT II Treaty never ratified?
- Why did détente “cool”?
- How was the SDI supposed to protect the U.S.?