Chapter 20 Questions
Chapter 20 Section 1: Americans Struggle with Postwar Issues
- What problems did returning soldiers face?
- How did Americans respond to the conditions left by WWI?
- Why did the Red Scare begin in the US?
- Why did the Palmer Raids occur?
- How are Sacco & Vanzetti “victims” of Postwar America?
- What became the dominant attitude of Americans during the early 1920s?
- Why did the KKK rise again after WWI?
- What were the beliefs of the KKK?
- Why was the Emergency Quota Act enacted in 1924?
- How did the Emergency Quota Act change in 1924?
- To whom did immigration quotas not apply?
- Why did strikes develop in 1919?
- Describe the scene of the Steel Mill strike in 1919.
- How was the Coal Miner’s Strike of 1919 different from the Steel Worker’s Strike?
- Why did the labor movement lose its momentum during the 1920s?
Chapter 20 Section 2: The Harding Presidency
- What was the goal of the Washington Naval Conference?
- What were the issues that developed with France & England repaying their war debts to the US?
- How did Dawes help the situation in Germany?
- Explain the Dawes Plan.
- Why was Harding’s Cabinet filled with problems?
- Explain the Teapot Dome Scandal.
Chapter 20 Section 3: The Business of America
- What did Coolidge favor?
- Identify four ways the automobile changed America.
- How did cars help create “urban sprawl?”
- What did the auto industry symbolize?
- Identify three ways airplanes changed the US.
- What changed the way most Americans lived?
- Identify 5 ways electricity changed the US.
- How did modern advertising develop?
- How did increased production & expansion create trouble by the end of the 1920s?
- How did buying goods on credit become a problem by the end of the 1920s?