Section 3 is due Thursday, 4/24
Section 4 is due Friday, 4/25
Section 5 is due Monday, 4/28
Other work will also be due on Monday, 4/28.
Chapter 35 Section 1:
Case Study: Latin American Democracies (pp. 910-5)
- Why was indirect democracy developed?
- How is democracy “a way of life?”
- Why is citizen participation essential to democracy?
- What factors help advance democracy?
- How did Kubitschek affect Brazil?
- Why did Brazilian conservatives oppose land reform?
- Why was Mexico’s stable government considered to be “imperfect?”
- How did Juan Peron affect Argentina?
- Why did the Falkland Islands War change Argentina’s political system?
Chapter 35 Section 3:
Gorbachev Moves Toward Democracy (pp. 921-5)
- How was Gorbachev different from proceeding Soviet leaders?
- How did glasnost affect Soviet society?
- How did perestroika affect Soviet society?
- Why did Gorbachev use the policy of democratization?
- How did Gorbachev’s internal changes affect the USSR’s foreign policies?
- How did Lech Walesa and Solidarity change Poland?
- How did Hungary rid itself of the Communist Party?
- Why did East Germany “open” the Berlin Wall in 1989?
- Why was reunification a challenge for East and West Germany?
- How did communism end in Czechoslovakia?
- Why did Romanians revolt against Ceausescu?
Chapter 35 Section 4:
Collapse of the Soviet Union (pp. 926-30)
- Why was there “unrest” in the USSR?
- How did Lithuania “defy” Gorbachev?
- Why were the hard-liners angry with Gorbachev?
- Why is the August 1991 Coup important?
- Why did the USSR cease to exist in 1991?
- How did Yeltsin’s leadership affect the Soviet economy?
- Why did war break out in Chechnya?
- How did ethnic rivalries affect Yugoslavia?
- Why is Bosnia an example of human rights violations?
- How did the global community respond to the war in Bosnia?
- Why did Czechoslovakia split into two nations?
Chapter 35 Section 5:
China Follows Its Own Path (pp. 931-5)
- How did Mao believe the Chinese economy could be improved?
- Why did the Cultural Revolution occur?
- Why did Zhou Enlai end China’s policy of isolationism?
- How was Deng Xiaoping different from Mao?
- Explain Deng’s Four Modernizations.
- Why did students protest in Tiananmen Square?
- Why is Deng’s response to the Tiananmen Square “uprising” a human rights violation?
- Why did the US and China have problems during the 1990s?
- How did the end of its colonialism affect Hong Kong?
- Why does a growing middle class improve a nation’s chances of democracy?